Aspen Roots Shawl Pattern
Knitting Pattern Download
- One 60 in / 150 cm circular needle in size needed to obtain listed gauge
- Designer Used: US 8 / 5 mm
- One 60 in / 150 cm circular needle in size 0.5mm smaller diameter than needle size used to obtain listed gauge
- Designer Used: US 7 / 4.5 mm
- 3 (4) stitch markers for keeping track of row sections
- 1 cable needle to hold stitches when cabling
- 1 yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Smooth waste yarn for provisional cast on
Gauge in 4" / 10 cm
- Stockinette on larger needles, unwashed
: 19 sts and 28 rows
- Cables on larger needles, washed and stretched
: 19 sts and 21 rows
To produce even cables without ladders and soft, loosely draping fabric.
- Lace on smaller needles, washed and stretched
: 16 sts and 23 rows
To produce an open lace and soft, loosely draping fabric.
- Wingspan: 67" / 170 cm
- Center Back: 32" / 81 cm
- Edges: 48" / 122 cm
- Edges: 48" / 122 cm
Construction & Schematic
This shawl utilizes an i-cord cast on and is worked from the top down, with 4 increases every other row, continuing the i-cord down the edges. Work the triangular panels twice for a triangle shawl or three times for a 3/4 square shawl. Triangle construction is noted with 3/4 square shawl construction in parentheses: 2 (3) times. Markers are placed at the edges and between each panel to keep the piece organized. The shawl is finished with an i-cord bind off. The last three edge stitches are grafted together with 3 stitches from the i-cord bind off for a continuous i-cord edge. Due to the cable construction’s similarities to ribbing, the top edge will be curved until it is aggressively blocked.
Schematic for Triangle
Schematic for 3/4 Square
Copyright © 2023 Atlas Knits LLC. All Rights Reserved. No part of this pattern may be displayed, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, or sold in any form or by any means without express permission granted in writing by Atlas Knits LLC. Class use and/or translations of this pattern and its contents are only allowed with the express written permission of Atlas Knits LLC. Purchasing this pattern constitutes agreement to these terms. Although every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this pattern, Atlas Knits LLC and the contributors assume no responsibility for any errors or omissions. Neither is any liability assumed for damages resulting from the use of information contained herein.